Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend in Brussels, final chapter.

After the amazing night we all had, a lot of us considered sleeping in. But the urge to fight Jet lag won out and when Nick came knocking on my door early, we went out to get breakfast.

They have these amazing boulangeries around the city called Paul's. For very cheap I got a delicious chocolate filled beignet and an orangina and met up with some other members of the group.

In the Grand Place there is a museum on the city of Brussels. Luckily for us it was open. It is in a giant old building with a grand staircase and gorgeous views of the city. The best part about it was the smaller exhibit on the top floor about the Mannequin Pis. For different holidays they dress up the tiny peeing boy in outfits, and this exhibit had a ton of his adorable tiny outfits, and some from each country!

But I guess what really was the best part of the museum was that there was a group of school children there for a field trip. We still aren't well-versed enough to eavesdrop on French conversations but their teacher was obviously very enthusiastic and telling them a wonderful tale about Belgian history, and when we walked by she asked them a question and an adorable little girl yelled "SORCIER!" which means witch. So our entire group thought that was just great, and it only got better when she taught them a song about Mannekin Pis. We all sort of wanted to learn it too!

We stopped for a picture in the very center of town before splitting up for lunch. Sine Paul's was so delicious, I went back, grabbed a ham and cheese baguette and a delicious and beautiful raspberry tart.

Unluckily for me though, the jet lag hits back hard, and after lunch I took a TWO HOUR NAP. Something I never do at home... but as soon as I woke back up I went back out - I didn't want to lose another second of the city! To my distress, everyone else seemed to be asleep, so I went across our little square to pick up some frites, when I ran into some friends. We all decided to go back to The Bon Vieux temps and then we ended up finding the absinthe bar.

When you ask for a menu there, they give you a book! I am talking pages upon pages of different types of absinthe you can order.

We ended our night at Delirium, and knowing we had to wake up early to catch a bus to Louvain-La-Neuve we decided to head back. But with Kim and I still being hungry we went downstairs to the hotel's 24 hour bar and ate waffles, and ended our night trying authentic Belgian frites in a cone.

That night we packed up all of our things and hoped we would hall asleep quickly in anticipation of our next adventure in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. I concur that you really must learn that Mannequin Pis song - or capture it on video for us!

    ReplyDelete